You don’t need to invest in a pricey coffee machine to brew the perfect cup of coffee. In fact, you can brew the perfect cup without any coffee maker at all. Read on to find out how you can make the most delicious cup of coffee without a coffee maker.
How to Make Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
A coffee maker can be a simple way to brew a pot or make a fresh cup of coffee, but you can get a tasty cup of Joe in minutes without using a coffee maker at all. Here are a few ways to brew coffee at home without a pricey coffee machine.
How to Make Coffee on the Stove
Here is a closer look at each of the methods used to make coffee on the stove:
What is it?
The strainer coffee method involves just a few items you most likely have at home: a pot, coffee grounds, a mug, and a strainer.
How to Brew Strainer Coffee
To brew the coffee, simply add your desired amount of coffee and water together into the pot. Bring to a boil and allow boiling for two minutes. Then place the strainer over your mug and pour your freshly boiled coffee in. The strainer will remove all the coffee grounds so that you can enjoy your fresh, hot cup of coffee.
What is it?
This method involves using hot water, a mug, coffee grounds, and a coffee filter with some string.
How to Make Coffee Using a Coffee Pouch
For this method, add boiling water to your mug. Then place your coffee grounds in the filter and tie with string. This will create a pouch – similar to a teabag. Allow the pouch to steep in the mug of boiling water for two to five minutes. Then remove and discard the pouch.
What is it?
This method is similar to the strainer method but without the strainer.
How to Make Saucepan Coffee
Add your coffee grounds and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil for at least two minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the coffee to sit untouched for another four to five minutes. This will allow most of the coffee grounds to settle to the bottom. Then scoop out your coffee with a ladle.
What is it?
Pour-over coffee is exactly what it sounds like – a process in which you pour hot water into your mug. The best part is that the coffee is created during the pouring phase.
How to Make Pour-Over Coffee
Boil water in a kettle. Place coffee grounds in a filter on top of the mug. When the water is boiling, pour it directly into the filter, very slowly. The water will seep through the grounds, and only unfiltered coffee will drip into the mug.
How to Make Coffee Without a Coffee Pot
Making coffee without a coffee maker or a coffee pot is actually a lot easier than you think. But to be sure your cup comes out perfect every single time, you may want to keep some of these tips in mind:
- Only use ground coffee: Coffee beans are not appropriate for boiling. In fact, coffee is always ground up, even if it is right before a machine processes it. The coffee must be ground up to ensure a tasty cup of Joe.
- Choose roasted coffee: Unroasted coffee doesn’t have a very good flavor to it. If you want a great cup of coffee, invest in a high-quality coffee that is roasted.
- Be patient: Making coffee without a coffee maker involves a waiting game. You have to allow your water to boil and let the grounds steep long enough. Otherwise, your coffee will be too light and lack flavor.
- Get a coffee strainer: If you want to use the coffee strainer method, make sure you have a strainer that is made for coffee grounds. Some strainers have wider holes than others. This can result in too many grains making their way into your cup.
- Make sure your water is the right temperature: While most methods involve boiling water, you don’t need to pour the scalding water into your coffee ground right away. In fact, you should avoid doing that! Boil your water and allow it to rest for a solid 30 to 60 seconds before bringing into contact with the coffee grounds. Water that is too hot may scald the coffee and give a burnt taste.
What If I Don’t Have Coffee Filters?
If you don’t have any coffee filters on hand for the other methods, don’t stress. There is an even better way to achieve this same type of brew. Instead of a filter, try a handkerchief. A folded hanky or cheesecloth will act as a perfect filter. Some say it even makes the coffee taste better.
Filters are great because they don’t need to be washed. But if you’re looking to reduce your carbon footprint or simply don’t have any filters on hand, there is still a way!
Pro Coffee Brewing Tip
If you can, invest in a coffee bean grinder. Rather than buying your coffee already ground, purchase roasted beans instead. Then use your coffee grinder to freshly grind the beans: the fresher the grinds, the more intense the flavor.
The Bottom Line
There are no rules when it comes to making coffee. Sure, some machines can make brewing a cup a snap. But those machines also cost a lot of money and require maintenance. Plus, there is something really relaxing about getting the day started with your own saucepan brew.
Once you try making your own coffee without a coffee maker or coffee pot, you may just love it so much that you’ll never use one of those machines again! The aroma is absolutely fresh and delicious. When you brew a cup, everyone in the house will line up for theirs, too!
So, are you ready to start the super easy and inexplicably fun coffee brewing ways of the past?